Well we’ve made a quite the visible progress lately and haven’t updated the blog. So here you go!
Starting to work on our first wall.
All laid out and ready to go up.
First wall up! Starting to get a feel for the space.
Second wall up (behind the cute couple…)
Part of the third wall and our new workshop. It started to get wet on us, but now we can work in the rain.
Fourth wall is up and the loft is up. Starting to sheath.
Our progress so far! One wall sheathed, three to go, then we’ll start working on the dormers and roof. It’s supposed to rain a lot this week, so we’ll see what happens. A big thanks to Timo for coming and helping us sheath the wall!
It’s interesting how our perceptions of space has changed throughout the process. When all the walls were framed, the space looked huge. Now that one wall is sheathed, it’s starting to get smaller…! I suppose that is the joy about the building process though. You really get to see and get used to the space as it evolves.
On another note, we also got most of our windows! We picked up a few from Habitat for Humanity’s Restore and the rest we got from Rona. We’re excited about those… hopefully I framed square enough that they will fit!
Now that we have a pretty good idea of the space, we’re trying to figure out what kind of floor and walls to put up. Any suggestions?
After a few rainy (and cold) days and a few busy days at work, we got back to our tiny house today! Our sheep’s wool arrived on Tuesday and if it wasn’t for the dust, Jesse would have jumped right in the boxes, it looked so soft.
Today we woke up to a bright and clear morning, but when we looked at the tarp there were little sheets of ice on it! It must have been a cold night. Oh Alberta…
Putting in the wool was a slow-going process as we had to fluff out the wool as we put it in, but it’s in there now along with the plywood on top. We had a lot of help from Julianne who came down to help us fluff and stuff wool. Thanks so much! Also, our neighbour Jeff helped out a bunch by letting us use his table saw and helping me cut the plywood to fit. It’s definitely nice to get helping hands.
Well, here are some pictures of our progress. There’s more up on Facebook if you’d like to see them but you’d have to add me as a friend first.
In January we stumbled upon the world of tiny houses and were immediately intrigued by the concept. We have always wanted to build our own straw bale house, but aren’t at a place in life where we want to settle down and buy land. Then we found out that you can build a house on a flatbed trailer! We were sold. It didn’t hurt that it could help us simplify our lives and live a little bit more intentionally.
Over the last few months, we’ve been researching, fretting, and going back and forth in deciding whether or not we would actually do this. Well, on Wednesday we went up and bought a trailer. I guess that means we’re doing it. (It’s a 20′ construction trailer with a capacity to hold 14,000 lbs.)
Today was our first build day. We were surprised at how far we got. First was the tedious job of leveling the thing. After a couple of failed attempts, we finally managed to get it level. We’ll probably have to re-level it over the course of the build. Out came the aluminum flashing and the staple gun and our trailer was ready for a subfloor. The trailer was super super bright and shiny, I think we got sunburned from it…
Then we busted out the miter saw (thanks Dennis for letting us use it!) and made our first cuts for the subfloor. We were really careful to measure at lease twice, I think one board got measured four times… I wonder how long that will last. We are building with 2×6’s instead of 2×4’s that most tiny houses seem to use. Since we’re in the land of extreme winters (a.k.a. Alberta), we thought any extra insulation we can fit would be better!
So today the subfloor joists are all finished and in place. We bought an impact wrench yesterday and I’m so happy we did! It made fast work of getting the boards together. Good investment I’d say. Tomorrow we will bolt the subfloor down onto the trailer and probably add some joist hangers just to be sure it’s strong. We’re still waiting on our sheep’s wool insulation to arrive (really excited about it), but when it does we will stuff it into the floor then put our plywood on top. Then we can get started on the walls.
It has started!